Monday, December 17

Sugar Cookies

Well, I am a sucker for a good cookie. And these are good cookies. I may venture out with a new recipe next year (because these are a bit high maintenance), but I love having this one in my back pocket. 

Sugar Cookies (makes 8 or 9 dozen)

 Cream together 1 cup shortening and 
2 cups granulated sugar

add 4 eggs 
& 2 tsp lemon extract, 
mix until fluffy

then be ready with
6 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt

1 cup sour cream

sift dry and add to the dough alternating with sour cream. 

Chill overnight. (or over two nights, if you have an overactive/demanding household)

Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Do not skimp on flour under these. Do not skimp on flour period. They are fragile and sticky (which makes them oh-so-soft). Bake on parchment paper @ 350* for 8-10 minutes. DO NOT overbake. 

Quick frosting. 

1/4 cup shortening (heat until very soft)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
3 tbsp milk
Mix until smooth. 

Jonah helped me make them this year. I would like to make baking a part of our Christmas traditions. When I was young, I always liked baking with my mom (year round). Hopefully Jonah always likes to be involved in the kitchen with me. (and like it or not, he is always going to be involved in things that happen in the kitchen...a husband who can cook is one of the best gifts my mother-in-law gave to me)


I like that picture in the middle up there. He was being lazy with saying "cheese", but really looks like he's waiting impatiently for the next step in our baking process. 
I don't know if you can see it clearly, but that gingerbread with sprinkles also has an eye patch. He is a "captain" according to Jonah...I think he meant pirate! 


No comments:

Post a Comment